Gravity dams: Design Criteria, forces acting on gravity dams, elementary profile, low and high gravity dams, stability analysis, evaluation of profile by method of zoning, practical profile, foundation treatment, construction joints, galleries in gravity dams.
Earth and Rock fill dams : Earth Dams: Types, causes of failure and design criteria, soils suitable for earth dam construction, construction methods, foundation requirements, typical earth dam sections, estimation of seepage through and below the dam, seepage control, stability of slopes by slip circle method of analysis, pore pressures, sudden draw down, steady seepage and construction pore pressure condition. Rock fill dams: Types, merits and demerits, conditions favourable for their adoption
Spillways : Ogee spillway and its design, details of syphon, shaft, chute and side channel spillways, emergency spillways.
Energy dissipatiors and gates : Principles of energy dissipation Energy dissipators based on tail water rating curve and jump height curves Spillway crest gates - vertical lift and radial gates, their design principles and details. Design of canal regulating structures, Detaild design of Sarda Falls, design of cross drainage works, sphypon aquaduct.
Hydropower Plants: Introduction of Hydropower development, assessment of power potential, types of hydropower plants, general features of hydro-electric schemes, selection of turbines, draft tubes, surge tanks, penstocks, power house dimensions, development of micro hydel stations, tidal plants, pumped storage plants and their details.
- Unit 1
- Unit 2
- Unit 3
- Unit 4
- Unit 5
1. Engineering for Dams (Volumes I, II & III) by Creager, Justin & Hinds
2. Hydroelectric Hand Book by Creager
3. Hydraulic Structures by Varshney
4. Irrigation & Water Power Engg. by Punmia & Pandey
5. Water Power Engineering by Dandekar
You May Also Like
- CE-6002 - Structural Design I (RCC)
- CE-6003 - Geotechnical Engineering-I
- CE-6004 - Highway Engineering
- CE-6005 - Advanced Water Resources Engineering
- CE-6005 - Computational Methods in Structural Engineering
- CE-6005 - Environmental Impact Assessment
- CE-6005 - Intellectual Property Rights
- CE-6007 - Creativity and Entrepreneurship Development