Acquaint the students with the basic concepts of Intellectual Property Rights; and sensitize the students with the emerging issues in IPR and the rationale for the protection of IPR
Introduction and Justifications of IPR, Nature of IP, Major forms of IP- Copyright, Patent, Trade Marks Designs, Geographic indication, layout design of Semi conductors, Plant varieties, Concept & Meaning of Intellectual Property. Major international documents relating to the protection of IP - Berne Convention, Paris Convention, TRIPS. The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
Meaning and historical development of copyright , Subject matter , Ownership of copyright, Term of copyright, Rights of owner, Economic Rights, Moral Rights. Assignment and licence of rights, Infringement of copyright, Exceptions of infringement, Remedies, Civil, Criminal, Administrative, Registration Procedure.
Meaning and historical development,. Criteria for obtaining patents, Non patentable inventions, Procedure for registration, Term of patent, Rights of patentee, Compulsory licence, Revocation, Infringement of patents, Exceptions to infringement, Remedies, Patent office and Appellate Board.
Trade Marks, Designs & GI
Trade Marks: Functions of marks, Procedure for registration, Rights of holder, Assignment and licensing of marks, Infringement, Trade Marks Registry and Appellate Board. Designs: Meaning and evolution of design protection, Registration, Term of protection, Rights of holder, unregistered designs. Geographical Indication: Meaning and evolution of GI, Difference between GI and Trade Marks, Registration, Rights, Authorised user.
Contemporary Issues & Enforcement of IPR
IPR & sustainable development, The Impact of Internet on IPR. IPR Issues in biotechnology, ECommerce and IPR issues, Licensing and enforcing IPR, Case studies in IPR
- Unit 1
- Unit 2
- Unit 3
- Unit 4
- Unit 5
1. Students will be able to understand Primary forms of IPR
2. Students will be able to asses and critique some basic theoretical justification for major forms of IP Protection
3. Students will be able to compare and contrast the different forms of IPR in terms of key differences and similarities.
4. Students will be able understand the registration procedures related to IPR.
5. Students will be exposed to contemporary issues and enforcement policies in IPR.
1. P. Narayanan, Intellectual Property Law, Eastern Law House
2. . Neeraj Pandey and Khushdeep[ Dharni, Intellectual Property Rights, PHI, 2014
3. N.S Gopalakrishnan and T.G. Agitha, Principles of Intellectual Property, Eastern Book Co. Lucknow, 2009.
4. Anand Padmanabhan, Enforcement of Intellectual Property, Lexis Nexis Butterworths, Nagpur, 2012.
5. Managing Intellectual Property The Strategic Imperative, Vinod V. Sople, PHI.
6. Prabuddha Ganguli, “ Intellectual Property Rights” Mcgraw Hill Education, 2016.
You May Also Like
- ME-6001 - Industrial Engineering
- ME-6002 - Thermal Engineering & Gas Dynamics
- ME-6003 - Heat & Mass Transfer
- ME-6004 - Metal Cutting & Machine Tools
- ME-6005 - Total Quality Management & Statistical Quality Control
- ME-6005 - Finite Element Method
- ME-6005 - Power Plant Engineering
- ME-6006 - CFD/FEM/Scilab
- ME-6007 - Creativity and Entrepreneurship Development